Researching a Builder
Buying a new home may be the biggest purchase you will ever make, so we strongly encourage you to do as much research about your builder as possible.
Tarion does not rate or rank new home builders. But the Ontario Builder Directory on Tarion's website provides information about new home builders including:
- Whether the builder is licensed to build new homes in Ontario;
- If the builder has had its licence refused or revoked;
- The builder's contact information;
- Related companies that are part of the umbrella group under which the builder operates;
- How many homes and the communities in which the builder has built;
- Whether the builder has had any chargeable conciliations;
- Whether Tarion has had to resolve warranty claims on the builder's behalf and the amount (if any) of claims paid by Tarion; and
- Whether the builder is/was a Homeowners' Choice Awards (formerly the Tarion Award of Excellence) finalist or winner.
To search for a builder in the Ontario Builder Directory, click here.
This information will give you some insight into a builder's performance, but it does not represent a complete picture of their service record. When selecting a builder, new home buyers should look at a broad range of sources. Other ways you can research a builder include asking for references and visiting developments where they have built to find out how satisfied homeowners are with their home and their experience with the builder.
If you have any questions about the Ontario Builder Directory or are unable to find a builder in the Directory and want to enquire about the builder's licence status with Tarion, please contact us.
Please take a moment to watch our video below, 'The Top 5 Ways to Choose the Right Builder';
Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.
Top 10 Questions
- How do I research a builder?
- What is the difference between a firm and tentative closing date?
- Who pays for the warranty and how much does it cost?
- When and how do I make a warranty claim to Tarion?
- What is the difference between a Type A, B, C and D condominium?
- Is the warranty transferable to a subsequent owner of the home or condominium?
- Where can I find my enrolment number?
- How long are shingles covered under the statutory warranty?
- What is a Common Elements Condo?
- What does the new home warranty cover?