Getting Registered with Tarion
The first step to applying for registration with Tarion is to download and print an Application for Registration Package.
Some of the requirements differ depending on whether you are applying as a builder, vendor or vendor/builder and whether you are proposing to build freehold homes or condominium units.
If you are applying as a builder only, you will need to advise us who the vendor of your project will be and that vendor will also be required to register with us (if not already registered). If you are applying as a vendor only, you will need to advise us who the builder of your project will be and that builder will also be required to register with us (if not already registered).
As a freehold/condominium Type A or B builder (or vendor/builder), you will be required to attend a builder orientation session, take a technical test (based on the Ontario Building Code) and attend a business interview. If you are applying as a vendor only, you will not need to write the technical test.
As a condominium Type C or D builder, vendor or vendor/builder, you will be required to attend a builder orientation session and meet with a Tarion representative to review your application.
The criteria you must meet to be approved for registration are set out in the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act. If approved, your registration may be subject to terms and conditions, including, for example, a limit on the homes you may build and/or sell and the posting of security.
All Application for Registration Packages and fees should be sent to:
Tarion Warranty Corporation
Licensing and Underwriting Department
5160 Yonge Street, 12th Floor
If you have questions on the application process or need assistance in completing the application, please contact the Licensing and Underwriting department at 1-877-696-6497 ext. 3001 or email us by clicking here.
Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.
You May Be Interested In:
Top 10 Questions
- Where can I find my enrolment number?
- When and how do I make a warranty claim to Tarion?
- What is the difference between a firm and tentative closing date?
- What is a Common Elements Condo?
- Who pays for the warranty and how much does it cost?
- How do I research a builder?
- How do I get another copy of a Certificate of Completion and Possession (CCP) that's been lost?
- What is the difference between a Type A, B, C and D condominium?
- Is the warranty transferable to a subsequent owner of the home or condominium?
- What is a conciliation and how do I request one?